About St-Petersburg

The State Hermitage

Is one of the oldest and largest museums in the world. The museum is located in 5 historic building in St.Petersburg, including theWinter Palace – the former residence of Russians tsars. The buildings of the museum, by themselves, are architectural chef doeuvres. The collection of the Hermitage numbers over 3 million items from prehistoric to modern times. Magnificent works of art embracing prehistoric culture, Egyptian art, Antiquites, Scythian gold, and great collections of Western European paintings and sculptures are displayed in 400 halls of the museum.
Open: 10.30-17.00. SUN till 16.00. Closed on MON.
Address: 34, Dvortsovaya nab.

The State Russian Museum

Opened in 1898 in theMikhailovsky Palace (architect C. Rossi). The museum numbers nearly 400.000 exhibits. It is the largest collection of Russian art in the country, from ancient icons to the Avantgarde painting of the XX century.
Open: 10.00-17.00. MON till 16.00. Closed on TUE.
Address: 2 Inzhenernaya ul.

St. Icaac’s Cathedral

Museum-monument. One of the finest architectural monuments of the XIX century (architect A. Montferrand), the former principal cathedral of the Russian capital, the largest cathedral in town able to accommodate an audience of about 10.000. The cathedral is graced with 112 solid granite columns weighing up to 114 tons each, and about 400 reliefs and bronze sculptures. The observation platform on the colonnade provides a magnificent view of the city.
Open: 11.00-18.00. Closed on WED.
Address: 1 Isaakievskaya pl.

The Church of the Savior on the Spilt Blood

Built 1907 as a memorial church to honour Russian emperor Alexander II, just on the spot of crucial terroristic attempt upon him. A sample of “Russian style” architecture and decorative art (over 7000 sq.m) was created to the design of 30 artists, among them V.Vasnetsov, N.Nesterov, A.Ryabushkin, V.Belyaev, N.Kharlamov.
Open: 11.00-18.00. Closed on WED.
Address: Griboedova Kanala nab.

Museum on Board the Cruiser "Aurora"

The battleship of the Russian Navy put on eternal mooring. The museum exhibition illustrated the "Aurora"’s participation in the Tsushima battle of the Russo-Japanese War of 1904-1905, as well as its revolutionary activities at the beginning of the XX century and its participation in World War II, 1941-1945.
Open: 10.30-16.00. Closed on MON, FRI.
Address: Petrogradskaya nab.

The Peter-and-Paul Fortress

The Museum of the History of St.Petersburg. The Peter-and-Paul Fortress was founded by Peter in 1703. You can visit the Peter-and-Paul cathedral of the early XVIII century (architect D. Trezzini) with the burial vault of Peter the Great and other Russian tsars, the Trubetskoy bastion casemates, permanent exhibitions: “The History of Petersburg”, “The History of Rochetry and Cosmonautics. Gas-Dynamic Laboratory”, “The History of the Imperial Mint”, “Pechatnya”, (Printing Workshop); new excursion route “Nevskaya Panorama” – along the tops of fortified walls of the fortress.
Open: 11.00-17.00, TUE till 16.00. Closed on WED and on the last TUE of every month.
Address: 3 Petropavlovskaya Krepost.

The Yusupov Palace

Since 1830 The Yusupov Palace belonged to Princes Yusupovs noble family. The building was constructed to the design of J-B Vallen-Delamote. The Palace retains the genuine 18th century Empire style interiors.
Open: the round-up tour of the Palace 12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Address: Reki Moiki nab., 94.

The Museum of Anthropology and Ethnography named after Peter the Great (KUNSTKAMERA)

The Museum was established in 1879. It holds over 1 million articles (about 300 thousand items of ethnography, about 500 thousand items of archeology, and about 200 thousand items of anthropology).
Open: 11.00–17.00.
Address: 3 Universitetskaya nab.


Is located on the southern shore of the Finnish Gulf 29 kilometers away from St.Petersburg. The Palace and park ensemble is a historical and architectonic monument of the 18th–19th centuries. Its constructions started in 1714. During 10 years the Lower Park with its canals and the Upper Park were laid out. Moreover, the Upper Chamber, the Palaces, the Monplaisir, the Marli, the Hermitage Pavilions, three fountain cascades, and other fountains were constructed. Such architects as J.B.Leblont, I.Brounstein, N.Miketthi, as well as the sculptor B.K.Rastrelli were the ones who implemented the ideas of Peter the Great. In 1730–40 during the reign of Empress Anna Ioannovna, the Marli Cascade was decorated with marble, the Ruin Cascade was reconstructed to form the Dragon Cascade (Chess Hill), the Fountain Alley was formed in the Lower Park, and the Roman Fountains were erected. Five fountains with sculptures were located in the Upper Park. In 1735 Rastrelli installed the famous sculpture of “Samson tearing the lion’s mouth” at Grand Cascade to honor the 25th anniversary of Poltava Victory over Swedish Troops. In the middle of the 18th century during the reign of Empress Elisabeth the architect Rastrelli turned the Upper Chambers into the Emperor Palace for special ceremonies. Peterhof is the kingdom of fountains, the magical play of water that brings you back to epoch of Peters the Great. It is also through brilliant interiors of Empress Elisabeth.

Pushkin / Tsarskoye Selo

The Palace and Park Complex of Tsarskoye Selo is located 25 kilometers south of St.Petersburg. In the 17th century there was a Finnish farm here called “Saari mois” in Finnish language. In 1708 it became a possession of the Russian Tsar, and the Finnish toponymy word “Saari mois” was transformed into “Tsarskaya Mysa” that sounded more Russian. In 1708–1724 Tsarskaya Mysa was the residence of Peter the Great’s wife, the Empress Catherine I. From 1741 Tsarskoye Selo became the residence of the Empress Elisabeth. In 1750 the architect M.Zemtsov and S.Chevakinsky constructed the stone palace with a church and erected the buildings that closed the Parade Yard. In 1752–56, during the reign of the Empress Elisabeth, the architect V.V.Rastrelli created a magnificent Emperor Palace, a brilliant masterpiece of Russian baroque. At the same time the Hermitage and Grotto Pavilions were built, regular Upper and Lower Gardens were laid out, and the Lower Garden was decorated with sculptures. During the reign of Catherine II (1762–1796) the ensemble of Tsarskoye Selo was supplemented by the creations of A.Rinaldi, Y.Felten, C.Cameron, and D.Qvarenghi. the Gold Bathhouse, the Agate Pavilion, the Hanging Gardens with a sloping platform, and the Cameron Gallery which represent the prominent masterpieces of the classical architecture were erected to the drawings of C.Cameron.

The Pavlovsk palace

and park ensemble is located 27 kilometers away from St.Petersburg. In 1777 Catherine II gave the ground to the Great Duke Paul as a summer residence. In 1779 a two-storied building called Marientahl was erected. The intensive establishment of the Pavlovsk Park, Palace and pavilions started in 1780. C.Cameron spent over 20 years of his life to create the Pavlovsk ensemble. In 1782–86 the designs of his architects were used in construction of the Pavilion of the three Graces, the Cage, the Dairy House, the Apollo Colonnade, the Gold Bathhouse, the Temple of Friendship, the Grand Cascade, the Elisabeth’s Pavilion, and the end of Universe Column. In 1786–99 the architect V.Brenna expanded the Palace wings, and added the Italian Stairs, the Pill Tower, the Theatre Gates, the New and the Old Sylvian Gates, the Amphitheater, and the Ruin Cascade. In 1802–25 the Air Theater, the Viskontyev and Pill Tower bridges, the Pink Pavilion and the Gates, the Farm, the Mausoleum of Paul I, and Mourning Gates appeared in the Park. The Pavlovsk Park is one of the pearls of the world landscape art. Each of the seven major park districts is marked by poetry, where the beauty of the northern nature is combined with exquisite skill of artists.


The Palace and Park Complex of Oranienbaum is located 39 kilometers south of St.Petersburg on the south coast of the Finnish Gulf near Kronshtadt. In 1707 Peter the Great gave the grounds near the seaside to Duke Menshikov. The architect D.Fontana and G.Shedel built in 1710–1727 the Grand (Menshikov) Palace that was connected by the channel with the Finnish Gulf. At the same time the regular Lower Garden decorated with fountains and sculptures and the Upper Garden were laid out. From 1743 Oranienbaum became the summer residence of Grand Duke Peter Fedorovitch, the heir of Empress Elisabeth (future Emperor Peter III). During the 10-year period V.V. Rastrelli reconstructed the Grand Palace adding beauty to its decor. In 1756–62 the Petrstadt fortress ensemble was constructed on the bank of the Karost River for Grand Duke Peter Fedorovitch where a tiny Palace and the Gates of Honor with the Tower crowned by a spire were erected to the design of A.Rinaldi. In 1762 Empress Catherine II ordered that the surbub residence called “My Own Countryside House” should have been established. For that purpose A.Rinaldi created in 1762–1774 the Chinese Palace and the Kanatnaya Gorka Pavilion (roller coaster) with a cupola pavilion.


The Gatchina Palace and Park ensemble is located 45 kilometers southwest of St.Petersburg being the most faraway estate of all suburbs. In 1712–1717 the Gatchina farm was owned by Peter the Great’s sister, Natalie. After her death the owners changed several times till Catherine II acquired the estate and gave it to Count Orlov, her favorite. In 1783 Catherine II bought the estate from the Orlovs and gave it to her son, crown prince Paul. From 1792 minor innovations were followed by extensive works in the Palace and the Park. The architect V.Brenna implemented the ideas of Paul. According to his designs the interiors of the Palace were rearranged and decorated. This architect also developed the designs of the Ekaterinverdersky Tower, the Forest Green-house, the ensemble of the Monument Gates, the Jetty Terrace and the lay-out of the Gardens. Brenna was the author of the Balcony Terrace, as well as the Square with Bastions and the Connstable Obelisk near the Park. The Birch-tree House was built to the drawing of A.Viogle. The drawings of N.Lvov were used to create the Amphitheater. In 1792-1800 V.Brenna and the landscape gardener D.Hext laid out the Sylvia Park between the Palace Park and the Menagerie.